Thursday June 23, 2016, the PLESD School Board adopted the Budget and LCAP (Strategic Plan) for the 2016-17 school year. There are some important changes in the budget and plan that include:
1) Core classes 4-8 grade will have class sizes at a maximum of 28 students.. TK-3 classes will be 24:1.
2) At the elementary schools next year, we will be adding a music teacher, an art teacher and each site will have a full time PE teachers. This is being done to increase the enrichment opportunities for our TK-5 students. The music and art teachers will switch back and forth between the two sites. Students will receive at least 90 minutes a week of these enrichments. We will be increasing the elementary school day by 15 minutes next year to help fit these enrichments into the day. Rio Del Oro and Cobblestone will both start at 8:00 a.m. and finish at 2:30.
3) At the middle school, we are adding a science teacher and social studies teacher to help keep low class sizes as we continue to grow.
4) A Director of Students Services position is being added and will be filled by Jason Hofhenke. Julie Rojo a former teacher and academic coach in PLESD will become the principal at Riverside Meadows.
5) The Board also approved additional dollars to continue our technology initiative. PLESD will have over 1050 devices (I-pads and chromebooks) for our 1270 students to use. Also, money is being spent to continue to develop new innovations and technology uses in the classroom.
6) Finally, PLESD continues to invest in our staff. Staff development will continue in reading, writing, math, best instructional practices, and project based learning.
We are extremely proud of the work that we are doing to better the educational system for the students of Plumas Lake.
Copy of the 2016-17 LCAP
Jeff Roberts Ed.D.
Plumas Lake Elementary School District